Benefit Eligible / Exempt, non-union / $60,000.00 – $61,278.00 / 40 hrs. @ wk.
Collaborates with Academic Staff and others to help guide Goddard’s library into a new era of accessibility, for our low-residency graduate and undergrad programs. Helps the library to support the progressive mission of the College through improved information literacy and participation in our exploration of honoring and working with different ways of knowing. Responsible for the efficient management and direction of the library, including operations, budget, supervision and direction of library staff, compliance with federal, state, and institutional requirements in support of Goddard’s teaching and scholarship mission.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees all aspects of library services. Provide supervision of library personnel while working collegially, ensures that library personnel exercise a service-centered approach in their interaction with our diverse clientele.
- Provides leadership and support towards development of information literacy initiatives in collaboration with faculty, librarians and colleagues from other college departments.
- Ensures that instructional and reference services are available.
- Supervises circulation activities and ensures that other library functions are effectively performed during the hours of library operation.[deleted the side sentence here, as that is covered in the next bullet point]
- Provides operational management towards enabling and enhancing discovery of resources across all library collections.
- Ensures appropriate preservation of essential data and records relevant to library functions; provides usage statistics and assessment of the use of library resources as needed.
- Administers the integrated library system (ILS), including configuration and managing of the ticketing system with our hosting service.
- Ensures the maintenance of the library catalog with descriptions of library resources, applying metadata where appropriate. This includes local collections made available through ContentDM platform, as well as batch loading of records for ebooks from third party vendors.
- Prepares and recommends budgets based on current needs and the requirements of effective operations; ensures operations are conducted within budget parameters, and takes responsibility for fiscal control.
- Works with college faculty and staff to determine learning resource needs in support of current and evolving academic initiatives and priorities; participates or assigns library staff to appropriate college committees.
- Selects resources for purchase and addition to the library collection, working within the collection development guidelines approved by the instructional Dean; ensures that acquisitions practices align with the college’s commitment to antiracism work and the pursuit of social justice; advises college students, faculty, and staff of resources available.
- Plans and prepares for future growth and innovation; prepares and submits proposals for enhancement of services based on objective need analysis and use projections.
- Supervises library staff, coordinates activities and absences, and arranges for appropriate training and technical support; provides communication to staff regarding actions and decisions of board of trustees and administration.
- Attends meetings and participates in professional library organizations; represents the college in library associations. Participates on the college’s behalf in consortia and resources sharing initiatives in order to expand and improve students’ access to services and resources.
- Direct, plan and communicate Goddard Archives and special collections efforts, pursue grant writing and collaborative projects towards developing and stewarding existing collections.
- Responsible for ensuring adherence to applicable federal and state laws, and college requirements, policies, and procedures within their area of authority; ensures that required reports for federal and state agencies and for internal needs are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Maintains state-of-the-art knowledge in library science and operations; requests appropriate personal professional development.
- Some evening, weekend, and holiday hours are required.
- Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
Supervision is received from the Academic Dean / Chief Academic Officer
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA accredited program or foreign equivalent.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Three to five years of progressively more responsible experience in an academic library, or combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of the position.
- Ability to plan strategically.
- Experience with an automated library system.
- Familiarity with library metadata standards, such as Dublin Core, RDA and LC classification.
- Competence with respect to cataloging principles and practices using both a bibliographic utility and integrated library systems (ILS).
- Experience in post-secondary instruction is desirable.
- Ability to effectively supervise and direct both skilled professionals and paraprofessional assistants.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with college students, clients, faculty, staff and administration.
- Flexibility in response to changing circumstances in a unique academic environment.
- Oral communication and listening skills suitable to addressing the inquiries of individuals ranging from an 8th grade education or less to doctoral level.
- Project management expertise.
- Demonstrated financial management expertise.
- Knowledge of OCLC utility services (e.g. WorldShare, bibliographic services, OCLC Connexion client, ContentDM platform).
- Experience with Koha library system.
- Experience with development of library instructional sessions, including online tutorials.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Apply Here on the ADP Portal
and include upload of Cover Letter/Letter of Interest.
Goddard College is committed to creating a college representative of a diverse global community and capable of creating change. To that end, we are actively seeking applications from qualified candidates from groups currently underrepresented in our institution for this position. This institution is an equal opportunity provider, and employer.