If you’ve been looking for professional support and a collegial environment in which to revise, complete, and polish a writing project—or if you want advice while developing a new project—we invite you to join a writing community of your peers in Goddard’s Postgraduate Semester in Creative Writing.
An offering of the Creative Writing MFA faculty, the Postgraduate Semester is a continuing education option for writers with an MA, MFA or PhD in creative writing from a regionally accredited college or university. We also welcome applications from graduates of international programs.
What to Expect
- You will participate fully in a five-day residency on Goddard’s campus in Plainfield, Vermont, or Port Townsend, Washington.
- You will develop a project plan in collaboration with your advisor.
- You will meet one-on-one with your advisor two or three times during the 15 week semester. One of these meetings will be mid-way through the semester.
- During the semester, you will submit three packets of creative work and receive extensive feedback and notes on your project as it progresses.
Deadline for Fall 2015 semester applications: June 1 (for Vermont), June 10 (for Washington)
Deadline for Spring 2016 semester applications: Dec. 1 (for Vermont and Washington)
How to Apply
To apply, submit an online application. Print application will not be accepted. There is a $65 application fee.
Your online application will include:
- A one- to two-page project proposal describing your goals, strengths, and challenges, as well as how you hope to use the faculty/student packet exchange.
- A 20- to 30-page writing sample.
- The names and contact information of two individuals who will submit letters on your behalf (the admissions office will contact your references with instructions on how to submit).
- The selection of three advisors from the available faculty, listed on the application, with whom you would like to work.
TRANSCRIPTS: Official transcripts showing you earned an MFA, MA or PhD in creative writing at least six months before you intend to begin the Postgraduate Semester should be mailed directly to Goddard College Admissions, 123 Pitkin Road, Plainfield, VT 05667.
Cost of Attendance
The postgraduate semester is a non-credit-bearing continuing education option. Individuals enrolled in this study option are not eligible for Federal Student Aid or institutional grants and scholarships for degree-seeking students.
Room, Board and Other Semester Fees
Double Room: $378
Single Room: $614 (upon availability)
Aide Room and Board: $782
Port Townsend, Washington
Room in a House: $614 (upon availability)
Single Dorm: $378 (upon availability)
Site Fee: $315
Aide Room and Board
Dorm Room: $815 (pre-approval required)
Room in a house: $1,051 (pre-approval required)