MFAW Application Instructions
Note: Please click here for instructions on applying to the Postgraduate Semester.
1. Online Application for Admission
Application fee: $65
Where there is a demonstrated financial hardship, the Office of Admission may waive the application fee. Please contact your admissions counselor for instructions.
2. Official transcripts
Transcripts and other official records must be submitted by the credit-awarded institution directly to Goddard College, Office of Admissions, 123 Pitkin Road, Plainfield, VT 05667.
Applicants to the MFA must submit proof of completion of a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education. In rare instances, documentation of an extensive record of professional-level accomplishment (such as publishing, performance/exhibition record, teaching, or editing experience) may be provided in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
3. Letters of recommendation
Three (3) letters of recommendation must be submitted in support of your application. At least one letter should address your ability to do graduate-level work. Letters can be from an academic or professional setting; or be from colleagues, advisors or mentors. Recommenders must be send letters of support directly to the Office of Admissions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the Admissions Office, Goddard College, 123 Pitkin Road, Plainfield, VT 05667.
4. Application Essay and Study Plan
Submit no more than 1,000 words addressing the following:
- What are your creative and theoretical goals for your MFA study?
- Please indicate your current thinking about the shape and genre of your creative thesis.
- Provide a preliminary list of readings and/or other resources that you may use as part of your studies.
- What do you envision for your teaching practicum?
- If you intend to petition for transfer of graduate credits (12 credits maximum), list the courses and how they informs your future study at Goddard College.
5. Creative Submission
Your creative submission should include no more than 20 double-spaced pages of your writing. If you are planning to write in more than one genre, please include samples from each. Poetry may be single-spaced.